Thursday 9 May 2013

I'm IN...!

Two days later. I'm pretty certain it's not going to happen. Then an email from Penny: 'Hi Terry, I hope we are going to make your day today!  I can confirm that we CAN offer you a place on this year's Tour.'
After an (un)steadying coffee, and with a certain amount of trepidation, I reply that I'm absolutely up for it, barring any typically African catastrophes. I only have two or three more Gambian rides before I fly out on 14 May, and I'll keep a particularly close eye on delinquent taxis, dilapidated trucks and wandering livestock of all descriptions.
I email Mark for some support. What's it really like? He tells me it's amazing, though each year is different due to the constantly changing riders. Everyone pulls together. There are 'young racing snakes' at the front and then other groups of riders of similar capabilities. There is a lady of 54 this year. There are older men too, though he's not sure of their ages. The leader is Ross who started La Fuga who organised rides for Rapha and rode for Scotland in the Commonwealth Games a few years ago.
I've got to do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment