Tuesday 11 June 2013

Stage 1 - Evian to La Clusaz

Phew. What a start. Total distance 124 km with 2,750 m of climbing. The slow group (including me, of course) set off at 09:00 after breakfast and a team photo, straight up a nasty little hill from the lake. The 1,712 m Col de Joux plane was mercifully closed, so we went round to the East of it, up a very pretty col, to the accompaniment of sheep and cow bells. A mad descent followed to a lunch stop in the valley at Samoens.
Unfortunately I missed the lunch stop sign and pushed on a few km further before having a very pleasant solo meal at Morillon. Salad, steak and chips, peach tart and coffee may have been a bit over the top, I suppose, but it did taste good. The group went past just as I finished, and I tagged on for a flattish ride to Cluses, followed by the day's main event: the ascent and descent of the formidable Col de la Columbieres.
This is a very tough (though spectacularly beautiful) 17 km with over 1,100 m of ascent that tops out at around 12 per cent. I wasn't last, quite, and even managed a short sprint at the end, cheered on by the Swarm, bless them.
Then another sweeping downhill and a short pull up to La Clusaz.
There were some clouds and a few damp roads, but the weather was good throughout. I am going to be stiff tomorrow. I hope the route isn't tougher still...

Distant view of the Col de la Columbières, with snow...
The Fireflies camera crew at the top of the Col de la Columbières.


Details AM:
Details PM:

2 comments:

  1. Well done Terry ! we are all cheering you on. A great start!
    best wishes, JOHN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading about it! Keep steady on those downhills tomorrow Terry. Sx

    ReplyDelete